In early 2022, there were approximately 120,000 metric tonnes of household waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) in the UK. This is why it is important to deal with WEEE correctly in an eco-friendly way.
If electronic waste disposal in London is your primary concern, keep on reading this guide to have a better understanding of how things work. It is only then you can do your bit to reduce your carbon footprint and take the next step towards a more sustainable future.
Encash old electronics
It is a good idea to earn some extra bucks by trading in your items. You can find a variety of trade-in shops or online websites for this. They accept a variety of items such as kitchen appliances, games consoles, old laptops, desktop computers, mobile phones and more.
While selling your electronic device, ensure that you erase every last bit of your personal information to avoid data theft. The last thing you would want is someone stealing your personal details and using it for malice intention.
What If You Have a Faulty Electronic Device?
Most trade-in companies offer a set price for a fully functioning device. If there is damage in the device, the price may reduce.
Whether you have a damaged phone, or your laptop is beyond repair, you can still earn money by selling your old electronics. These devices are often refurbished or broken down into smaller components. This makes them ideal for resale. Sometimes, companies may recycle them to create a brand-new component.
In case a device is not worth refurbishing, companies dispose of such electronics in a safe and eco-friendly way.
Recycling Electronics Guidelines
Never ever throw your old electronic gadgets away. While you can get rid of them, make sure you never put them directly into your bins and avoid sending them to landfill. When you do so, your old electronics may leak toxic chemicals into the soil, contaminating the land altogether. So, make sure you dispose of electronics waste properly.
It is important that you recycle your old electronics responsibly. While doing so, you should follow the WEEE guidelines without a failure.
According to the UK government, you should dispose of waste such as laptops, televisions, tablets or mobile phones in an eco-friendly manner. This is because some elements inside the electronic items are hazardous. They may include lead, mercury and other substances, which can leech from old circuit boards. This means you are putting potentially toxic elements into the ground that can adversely affect people’s general health and wildlife.
Which Gadget Parts Can You Recycle?
More often than not, we are not aware of what electronic devices may contain. Did you know that about 80% of a smartphone is recyclable. Therefore, if you have spare parts lying around, you can recycle them. The following gadget parts you can recycle:
- Batteries: Most batteries contain Lithium Ion. You can recycle them in an oxygen-free mechanical process. This helps you to separate it into the core elements of stainless steel, cobalt and lithium salt concrete, copper, aluminium & plastic.
- Bezel: Bezels are valuable materials for sell. However, by recycling them, you are doing your bit in making the planet a sustainable one.
- PCB boards: These items are ideal for reuse, given that the inside materials are effectively extracted.
- Memory chips: They have the potential to be valuable. If extracted correctly, you can obtain materials that include mercury, iron, lead, silver and gold.
Process of Recycling Electronic Components
The recycling method varies from one local recycling plant to another. Therefore, it is imperative to speak to your local recycling centre, if you want to be sure. Generally, most places follow the below-mentioned steps for recycling:
- Collection: Once agree on a price for your old electronics with the recycler, they will collect the waste.
- Shredding: Then components become ideal for shredding into tiny little pieces to enable them for more precise separation.
- Sorting & separating: They separate valuable metals from waste by using a powerful magnet. This allows the useful materials to be reused or sold in the market.
If you are wondering, “How to dispose of electronics safely in your local area?”, you are in luck. It makes sense to check with your local council and know the rules for waste recycling. This may include questions like:
- Which items can you recycle?
- Are you recycling the wrong items?
How Can Waste Removal London Help Dispose of WEEE?
At Waste Removal London, we pride ourselves on delivering eco-friendly waste disposal and recycling solutions for businesses and households alike. The hazardous and toxic elements that electronic waste creates are detrimental to the environment and humankind. This makes it even more important to dispose of them responsibly – in a way that is not harmful for the planet and the livings beings.
Whether you are a household wanting to get rid of electronic waste, or a reputable business, we are here to extend our help.